welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

02 April 2021

...Chinese Combination Padlock Locks 中國密碼鎖

'Old' Chinese Combination Pad Lock

Here I have posted 3 combination locks I have in my collection. I do not believe these are really old locks based on the Chinese characters engraved on it. I can see simplified Chinese characters being used here. Chinese simplified writing was first introduced in 1935. Today, I believe traditional Chinese writing is still used in Hong Kong and Macau and in Taiwan, the government removed all simplified writings from its official websites some 10 years ago, but I believe some private sectors are still using simplified Chinese writings.

Thousands if not millions of these kinds of locks are made and are available in the market. Many of these new locks on sale now are mostly made solely for collections or for decorative souvenirs only as I believe hardly anyone is using them nowadays. Depending on the sizes of the padlocks made, traditionally, like all other locks made in the western world, they were used for locking the main doors/gates or for trunks or small chests. 

So, what's the difference between these Chinese padlocks compared to those more modern types that have numeral combination numbers on them?

For one, if you are not fluent in reading Chinese, this would be a bit hard for you. How to remember the characters if you can not read the writing? Secondly, the alignment position of the rings with characters have to be almost in a precise position in order to have it opened. Even though the 'key' to the combination is only 256 times (4x4x4x4x4) for the one I have posted below, that does not mean that you can open this lock going through the entire permutations. One little bit out of alignment, the lock will not open and you would not know if you had the right combinations and even if you do, you will still not be able to tell which one is not in the correct position. This is unlike those modern numbers combination/padlock locks, that the turning of the number is self guided for you to stop on each turn/move.

The lock itself is divided into two parts, namely the body and the other bit is the shackle. The body itself comes with 4 rings engraved with four characters each. Most of this has four characters. Some of these locks have 3 rings and some have 5 or even more. Obviously, the more rings it has, the harder for anyone to open. I do not believe there is such a thing as a standard type.
 
This lock is about 76mm in length and 42mm in height and is about 146.80 grams in weight. As you can see, it is quite heavy for a small lock.
 
Front View
 
I believe these are the characters showing on the lock:-
百 - 捧 - 喜 - 心
年 - 寿 - 发 - 想
偕 - 双 - 财 - 事
老 - 龙 - 恭 - 成
 
The code for this lock is 百捧喜心. In English, it is translated as 'Hundreds of Joys'.

Main Body and Shackle

Side View

You may have seen many experts demonstrating how fast they can open a padlock, I would like to see them opening one of these in less than a minute without breaking it.
 
Hong Kong Standard Chartered Bank 2010 series showing a Chinese Combination Padlock
 
Traditionally, Chinese believe that bat is considered as a very good symbol (good fend shui). In Chinese, bat is called 蝙蝠 (bian fu). The second character 蝠 (fu) is also sounded like the word 福 (fu or fook) which means prosperity. You may have seen this character 福 in many Chinese businesses premises as well as in their homes. On either end of this lock, you can see there are two flying bats, one on top and the other one on the left. Underneath there is a sitting man and next to him is a standing woman. It appears that they are both holding or playing a musical instrument. I believe the lock on the above banknote is the same as the one I have posted here but not with the same written characters on the rotating rings.
My Two Other Smaller Combination Padlocks In My Collection

If you collect these kind of locks, please feel free to share your comments here. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment