welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

10 May 2011

Dame Nellie Melba 1861-1931

Dame Nellie Melba 1861-1931 $1
Soprano Dame Nellie Melba, Australia first international celebrity, was born Helen Porter Mitchell 150 years ago in Richmond, Melbourne. After making her European debut in 1887 she was feted throughout Europe and America until her retirement in the late 1920s. Melba's repertoire included many rolse, the most famous bing Mimi in Puccini's La Boheme. She moved in high society and performed for many of the royal heads of Europe, including the Tsar, Emperor Franz Joseph and Queen Victoria. Nellie Melba died in Sydney in 1931 and is buried in Lilydale cemetary (Melbourne), nor far from her beloved Coombe Cottage, the Coldstream property she purchased in 1909.

No comments:

Post a Comment