welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

05 September 2020

...Yashica - Twin Lens Reflex Camera Model 635 Built in 1970

Yashica Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) Camera
Model Yashica 635
Made in Japan

Here is a Yashica 635 TLR camera built in 1970 (based on the serial number on the camera). TLR cameras were once very popular cameras right up to the late 60s. If you have not used one of these cameras before, you will find this type of camera a bit hard to operate initially. For a start, the image you see on the viewfinder is opposite from what you can see from your naked eyes. Beside this, you also need to get used to holding the camera in level position and because of this, having the strap around your neck/shoulder for support may overcome this issue. No doubt having a camera spirit level would be a better option.

This Yashica 635 TLR model is a dual format camera (6x6 and 35mm), first released in 1958 and went on for the next 13 years. It ceased operation in 1971.

Apart from the above few disadvantages, there are few other restrictions on such TLR cameras as the fastest lens speed is only 1/500 second and I find it hard to use such a camera for shooting sporting events or fast moving subjects. There are no interchangeable lenses like those SLR cameras (except Maimiya), although some models do come with wide and telephoto lenses but only with fixed range. Another issue I have is the focusing screen which can take a while to get it ready. Some owners changed this with a split image screen but I like my camera to be as original as possible.

To advance the film, you wind the film advancing knob clockwise situated on the right hand side of the camera. To take a picture you then have to cock the shutter by pressing down the shutter cocking lever, located on the front of the camera. Most later models for Yashica TLR have these two operations combined into just one move with a crank lever. Of course there are advantages and disadvantages for having these two functions separately. The advantage is that you can take multiple exposures on one film, and the disadvantage is the reverse effect. To avoid having the same film exposed more than once unintended, I usually do not wind the next film after taking a shot. I will only do that when I am ready for the next photo. The Yashica 124G does not come with this double exposure option.

Despite some of these shortfalls, I still like this camera. I personally find it challenging to use them. For a start, this is a complete mechanical camera with no battery required. The only battery you need is for the light meter. You can always get a separate handheld light meter or use the Sunny Rule of 16. This Yashica 635 takes 120 medium format film (12 shorts) and it also comes with a special conversion kit that allows you to take 35mm film too. I believe, in those days, you had to buy this accessory separately as it did not come as standard for the camera.

Many of the TLR cameras were made and sold around the world between the 1940s and 1960s. The most popular, most sought after and also the most expensive TLR brand was the German made Rolleiflex. This is the state of the art TLR camera and until today, it is still in high demand by both amateur and professional photographers. Of course the price range is also expensive too. On the other hand, the Yashica TLR was also popular among amateurs as it was priced reasonably and was considered as an entry level TLR camera for those who wanted to take medium format pictures. Some even go as far as saying that a Yashica TLR is just as good as a Rollei. In reality, this is not correct as the Rollei TLR camera quality is much better.

I bought this camera in 1997 secondhand from a local camera shop and the condition of this camera is still in excellent condition. I won't go into how to operate this camera or compare the performance to other similar cameras as there are plenty of write ups about TLR cameras on the Internet. Besides, I am not an expert in this topic. Initially I wanted to get one with a light meter and when I saw the price range for a Rollei, I decided to go for a much cheaper Japanese made. I am not a professional and I only use this camera once in a blue moon so it was unwise to get an expensive one and just leave it on the shelf. At one time, I also considered getting a Chinese made Seagull too but this idea slowly faded away as this camera is very unreliable in terms of its quality.

If you own one of these and it's in good condition, keep it as long as you can. You can still buy this kind of camera but most of it is in terrible or poor condition. I paid a bit expensive (around US$180) and it came with the case (poor condition), strap, original plastic lens cap and the 35mm conversion kit. This 35mm conversion kit originally came from another camera and for some reason, this was added to this 635 camera when I bought it.

And for any reason and if your camera is not working, do not throw it away. Use it as a paper weight or display it on your bookshelf.
Yashica 635 TLR
(s/n SX 0060418)
Front view
Left side view
Right side view
Basic Specifications
Dual format twin lens reflex
Use 120 medium format and 35mm with adapter kit sold separately
Yashikor 80mm f/3.5 taking and viewing lens
Copal MXV shutter from 1 sec to 1/500 sec plus B
Thumb wheels in front for aperture and shutter adjustment

Please feel free to share your opinions here. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment