welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

19 July 2010

Australia Remembers 20 Cents 2010

Australia Remembers 20 Cents - Lost Soldiers of Fromelles
The bloodiest day in Australian military history, and some claim the most tragic event in Australia's history, occurred on the plains of Flanders on 19 July 1916. The battle of Fromelles witnessed more than 1,900 Australian deaths, over 3,100 wounded and 470 captured. the Australian toll at Fromelles was such that over 1,000 casualties recovered after the war were unable to be identified and are buried as unknown soldiers in war cemeteries in the area. Some 410 of these casualties are buried in the VC Corner Australian Cemetery, where those who have no identified grave are commemorated on the cemetery's screen walls. Ninety-two years after the battle, a mass grave of 250 British and Australian soldiers was discovered near Pheasant Wood. All but one of the soldiers have now been re-interred in the new Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery, with the final burial to take place at a dedication ceremony on the 94th anniversary of the Battle of Fromelles on 19 July 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment