welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

20 April 1995

Australia Remembers 1945-1995 50 cents

Australia Remembers 1945-1995, 50 cents coin

On 3 September 1939 Australians leant that their country was at war. During the next six years men and women were called upon to serve their country in difference ways. People’s experience of the war varied widely. It was particularly difficult for prisoners of war. Some 15,000 Australians were amongst the Allied troops who were taken prisoner by the Japanese at the surrender of Singapore on 15 February 1942. They were used as working parties in Singapore and later dispatched to other parts of the Japanese empire. In all, one in three died in captivity of hardship, disease, malnutrition or harsh treatment. The medical officers, on whom life depended, were confronted by harrowing responsibilities. The most famous of them is Weary Dunlop.

No comments:

Post a Comment