welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

01 November 2010

Melbourne Cup 150 Years 50 Cents

Melbourne Cup 150 Years 50 Cents
The race that stopped the entire nation, for 3 minutes only of course.

In 1930, Phar Lap galloped home to easy victory in the Melbourne Cup, with Jockey Jim Pike in the saddle. The big chestnut was a symbol of hope for a nation feeling the bite of the Great Depression. Of his 51 starts, Pahr Lap had 37 wins, three second places and two thirds, and in his 21 races during 1930 he was beaten only twice. The revered Phar Lap survived an attempt on his life in the week prior to his Melbourne Cup win, but sadly his career was cut short when he died in suspicious circumstances following his win in the 1932 Agua Calientic Handicap, billed as the world's richest horse race. So popular and mythologised was Phar Lap that his heart now rests in the National Museum of Australia, his hide in Melbourne Museum and his skeleton in New Zealand's national museum, Te Papa Tongarewa.

Still no rest in Peace for Phar Lap?

No comments:

Post a Comment