welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

16 September 2020

...Yashica - Twin Lens Reflex Camera Model Mat 124G Built in 1985/6

Yashica Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) Camera
Model Yashica Mat 124G
Made in Japan

This is my second Yashica TLR camera and the model is Mat 124G. I bought this camera in 2018 from Japan. It was a bit expensive but the condition of this camera is in excellent condition and because of this, I have no issue in paying a little bit extra. This camera is quite popular especially for those who want to go into medium format photography. I have tested this camera and the photos came out all right. The serial number of this camera is 211844. I believe this camera was made between 1985 to 1986, or almost the last few batches of the production before they discontinued this model due to the falling demand for these kinds of unique cameras. Needless to say, this was the last TLR camera made by Yashica. Even though Yashica ceased manufacturing this type of camera, the Mat 124G is still a very popular TLR camera and plenty of these are still available in the market.

Like all Yashica TLR cameras, the operations are fully mechanical. For this model, it has the option of a light meter powered by a PX625 mercury battery, which is no longer available due to the mercury content. There are other alternative batteries in the market such as the Wein zinc-air battery but it didn't work out for me. Firstly, it is expensive and more importantly, it didn't last long at all. There are also battery adapters to allow you to use a hearing aid battery but then many experts will tell you that due voltage differences, it may not give you an accurate light reading. The other options would be a cheap hand held light meter such as a Sekonic Twinmate Model L-208 or simply use the famous Sunny Rule of 16 method instead.

This Mat 124G camera came with a standard genuine soft plastic lens cap. The soft plastic lens cap was first introduced in 1963. The one that is showing here is a Yashica cast metal hinged bayonet 1 lens cap which I bought separately recently. I was told that this cast metal lens cap will fit all makes and models that accept bayonet 1 (B30) twin lens cameras. Yashica introduced these kinds of lens caps in 1956. I do have the original soft plastic cap too, but I thought the metal cap looks nicer. This camera also came with the original case and strap which are not shown here. If you have one of these cameras and are missing the lens cap, whatever you do, do not buy those cheap and unbranded plastic lens caps which are on sale online. Those lens caps will not fit the Yashica TLR for all models that have the two round shutter speed control and aperture control dials located on the front. Believe me, as I bought one and it does not fit. These two dials on the front of the camera prevent the lens cap from fitting onto the two lenses. Furthermore, I believe that these kinds of cheap caps are about 1 to 2 mm too short to fit the two lenses on the camera. As the common saying goes, the original is always better than cheap imitations.

This Mat 124G replaced the previous Mat 124 model which was first introduced in 1968 and ended in 1970. The Mat 124G was first released in 1970 and ceased production in 1986. In terms of features, there are not many differences between the Mat 124 and Mat 124G models. The Mat 124G has more plastic components and mostly in black colour. Black was then very popular for cameras. The battery compartment cover is made of plastic and not metal like the Mat 124. Both cameras can take 12 or 24 exposures. The Mat 124G has gold plated meter contacts, as such the "G" is added to the model name.

Again, I am not going to do a review or any comparison of this camera with other TLR as I am not qualified to do so. Furthermore there are already many reviews available on the Internet and there is no need for me to do one, especially since I knew nothing about these kinds of cameras.

I always have a soft spot for TLR cameras as I remembered that my first home photos were taken by a TLR. Unfortunately I do not recall which brand of camera we used as the camera was borrowed from someone else.
Yashica Mat 124G
With 1956 cast metal hinged bayonet 1 lens cap

Right side view

Left side view

Warning
If you have one of these cameras, be very careful when you are playing with it and not taking any pictures. If you feel like releasing the shutter just for fun, please ensure the take-up spool is removed from the camera before you operate the film advance crank. If you operate the film advance crank with the take-up spool inside the camera but without a film, this may jam the mechanical systems of the camera. Should this happen, you may have to send in your camera for repair by an expert.

If any visitors have one of these cameras, please feel free to share your experience and opinion here. Your comments are always welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment