welcome


| home - back to banknotes |

On this site, I will post all my other miscellaneous items which I have collected over the years. I can't say there are many but to some these are considered as junks or garbage but to me, it's a collectible. Some of these came from the family or through inheritance and that is why I am keeping them. Whilst my heading for this site is Australia Postal and Numismatic covers, I have stopped collecting them as to me, it is not that attractive to collect anymore. I hope you like them as much as I do.

If you see any blank spaces on this site, please remove the "http://" or "https://" on your URL and hit enter again. Thanks

"no borrowed scans here nor i cut and pasted from other web sites. all notes displaying here are mine"

05 October 2020

...Minolta Twin Lens Reflex Camera - Autocord LM-X, Built 1958-1959

Minolta Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) Camera
Model Autocord LM-X
Made in Japan

This is my third and last twin lens reflex camera I have in my collection. I bought this camera just over a year ago and so far I have only used it twice. The first roll was a failure as unknown to me, the aperture lever was disconnected and I have to send it for a quick repair. Needless to say the photos taken were either under or over exposed. As for the second roll, I have not sent it off for development yet.

The Minolta Autocord was first introduced in 1955 and the production went on for 11 years until 1966. In all, more than 20+ models were made.

The Minolta Autocord LM-X was first made in 1958 by Chiyoda Kogaku Seiko. This camera comes with a light meter powered by Selenium cells. Everyone will tell you that Selenium light meters are not reliable and the cells tend to die off after a period of time. The light meter on this camera is still working after 62 years but I can't tell you if it is still accurate or not. All I can say is that the meter is still working when the nameplate is flipped up.

The LM-X was built between 1958 to 1959 and in those days it was selling for around US$124.50 (or about US$1,200 today's money). Like my other Yashica TLRs, it takes 6x6 medium format pictures (120 film). Prior to me buying this camera, it was CLA (Clean, Lubricate & Adjust) by an expert in Oregon in the USA. Like my Yashica Mat 124G, I also paid a bit too much for this camera. This Autocord LM-X came with a case, strap, lens cap, all original. The seller also provided me with the original manual, the warranty card and a few other bits and pieces too. In addition to all these, it also came with the Minolta pocket size flash gun with 13 fan-shapes blades when it is fully opened. This flash gun is powered by a 22.5V dry battery and a condenser (capacitor) which can discharge more than 300 flashbulbs. I have not tried this as I do not have any flashbulbs or the dry battery to try it on.

One other thing about this camera is that it does not come with an in-built self-timer. To do that, you will have to buy a separate self-timer unit. There are plenty of secondhand self-timers available and cheap too, but not all of them can be used on a TLR camera. To be able to use a self-timer on a TLR camera, the self-timer has to be specifically made for these types of cameras. The shape of the self-timer has to be slightly bent to avoid blocking the taking lens when it is attached to the camera. Most self-timers available in the market were made for SLR cameras. Later models of Minolta Autocords all came with the inbuilt self-timer.

Again, I am not going to compare or review this camera as I am not qualified to do so. However, many experts or serious users will tell you that this camera is as good as those made by Rollei and more importantly it was much cheaper to get one too. A basic Rollei TLR would cost you around US$200 in those days.

Whilst there are many good features about this camera, there is one common complaint about this camera. This Autocord LM-X features a focusing helicoid lever located at the front bottom of the camera. The focusing lever is made from a metal called Zamak, an unstable alloy and as such can break easily if it has not been used for a long time or not serviced. In addition to this, the way this lever is positioned may also damage the camera body and the focusing lever when the back cover is opened for loading or unloading films. To avoid this, the focusing lever will either have to move all the way to the left or to the right before the back cover is open.

One other good feature of this camera is that you can do multi exposures where a Yashica Mat 124G can't. This feature is designed in such a way that you will not accidentally expose your film more than once unless you want it to, and for this, I find this feature very unique and useful. 

Film Type: 120 Roll Film (twelve 6cm x 6cm exposures per roll)
Lens: 75mm f/3.5 Chiyoko Rokkor coated 4-elements (taking),
75mm f/3.2 View-Rokkor coated 4-elements (viewing)
Focusing distance: 3.3 feet to Infinity Viewfinder:
Coupled Reflex Waist Level Viewfinder Shutter:
Seikosha-MX Leaf Speeds: B, 1 – 1/500 seconds Exposure Meter:
Coldshoe: Yes
Self-timer: No

Minolta Autocord LM-X
Camera attached with Kaiser 6385 Double Spirit level on the coldshoe
Left side view
Right side view

With flash (no bulb) and Kopil self-timer (made in Japan)

I am sure there are plenty of experts out there with these kinds of cameras. If you are one of them, I would like to know how to take a double exposure with the same person appearing on both sides of the photo. I do know how to operate the multiple exposures on this camera but I need to know what accessories do you need to attach to the taking lens. Many years ago, we had a family friend who took double exposure with a TLR and I am trying to learn this trick. I have seen some accessories on sale on the Internet but the sample photo shows an overlapping band in the middle. There must be a way to avoid this and I am keen to find out. Anyone out there can help?

No comments:

Post a Comment